A Financial Planning and Risk Assessment Tool
What is a Capital Needs Assessment?
A Capital Need Assessment, or CNA, is an evaluation of the physical condition of a property. The assessment describes the property’s physical characteristics, identifies its deficiencies, and informs the client of current and future capital expenses required to maintain the property over time.
Who Needs a Capital Needs Assessment?
We work with various housing professionals, including lenders, public housing authorities, developers, and property or prospective property owners. Our clients use our reports to meet the requirements of HUD, USDA, Government-Sponsored Entities (GSEs), and state housing finance agencies.
A Report You Can Trust
With the entire process overseen by our Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), our inspectors are highly trained in understanding and identifying your property’s physical characteristics, including:
- Interiors, Exteriors, Roofing, and Foundations
- Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing
- Life and Safety Issues
- Accessibility Requirements
- Cost Estimates
- Indoor Air Quality and more
When time and money are involved, it’s in all parties best interest to opt for a qualified and experienced inspector. After nearly 30 years in the business, we’ve learned a thing or two.
- 17,500 CNAs completed
- Multifamily, healthcare, and commercial facilities experience
- HUD, Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC), Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD), Frannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Conventional, and Capital Funds
With access to our comprehensive project database, we can compare your property to similar projects based on your needs. Before stepping foot on the physical site, we compile the appropriate documentation to inform our team of the history of your property, including:
- Blueprints and Renderings
- Licenses and Inspection Reports
- Past major capital improvements, replacements, renovations, or rehabs
Communication & Support
We are in contact with you throughout all phases of the CAN process. We provide a well-trained eye and careful analysis of your property that delivers an accurate report in addition to:
- Solution-focused strategies
- Access to subject matter experts
- An innovative approach to meet your application needs
Range of Services?
- HUD/FHA compliant CNA using the CNA e-Tool
- Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD)
- Tax Credit Applications - 4% and 9% nationwide
- Owner’s financial planning
- Portfolio Management
- In-depth evaluations of major building systems
- Building Professional Institute (BPI) certified inspectors
- Collaboration and consultation with trade-specific experts
- Electric system load testing
- Building envelope evaluation utilizing moisture meter
- FLIR camera testing
- Data collection and field observation for energy efficiency, sustainability, and healthy home living environments.
- Understanding the relationship between energy-efficient upgrades and the impact on the CNA as well as it’s relation to financing and tax credit point-based applications.
- Monthly assessment for new construction or rehabilitation projects.
- Monthly draw request processing.
- Critical and non-critical repair confirmation inspections.
- Understanding and implementation of ADA, UFAS, ANSI, HUD MPS, FHA, and other accessibility requirements that apply to your property.
- Experience staff that can identify issues and provide creative solutions.
- Risk and liability evaluation.
- Realistic solutions to common problems with multi-family and healthcare facilities.